1)Islam means “submission to Allah”in Arabic
2) MECCA-The holiest site for all of Islam. Muslims will pray 5 times a day towards Mecca and are expected to make a pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime.
3) Calligraphy is the highest form of art as it is considered the literal work of Allah
4) Muhammad begins to preach in 613 CE.
5) 5 pillars of Islam:5 basic acts of Islamic faith that are performed by every Muslim
6)Mosaics: also called tessellations. Decorative tiles are the main medium.
7)Prohibition of portraying Allah or Muhammad in human form
8)Aniconic-Lacking in figurative imagery-abstract designs based on calligraphy, arabesques, and tessellations for decoration
Islamic Art FLIPBOOK.docx
Size : 16.575 Kb
Type : docx
Islamic Art Project.docx
Size : 1052.501 Kb
Type : docx
1) GREAT MOSQUE - CORDOBA, SPAIN
2)PYRIX OF AL- MUGHIRA
5)DOME OF THE ROCK
6)GREAT MOSQUE - MASJID-E JEMEH
7)FOLIO FROM A QURAN
8)BASIN ( BAPTISTERE DE ST.LOUIS)
9)THE ARDABIL CARPET
10)JAHANGIR PREFERRING A SUFI SHAIKH TO KINGS
11) TAJ MAHAL
12) MOSQUE OF SELIM II
"Calligraphy is the most highly regarded and most fundamental element of Islamic art. It is significant that the Qur’an, the book of God's revelations to the Prophet Muhammad, was transmitted in Arabic, and that inherent within the Arabic script is the potential for developing a variety of ornamental forms. The employment of calligraphy as ornament had a definite aesthetic appeal but often also included an underlying talismanic component. While most works of art had legible inscriptions, not all Muslims would have been able to read them. One should always keep in mind, however, that calligraphy is principally a means to transmit a text, albeit in a decorative form."
~METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
1) ARCHES- HORSESHOE, POINTED AND MUQARNAS
2)CALLIGRAPHY- POWER & BEAUTY OF THE KORAN
4)LARGE PRAYER SPACES
5) 3Ms- MIHRAB, MINBAR & MINARET
6) QIBLA WALL- POSITION TOWARD MECCA & DIRECTS COMMUNITY PRAYER