When Constantine I founded a “New “Rome in the East in 324, he called it Constantinople, after himself. He became the ruler of a grand united empire but was soon sacked in 410. The division of this Empire became permanent. Art from the Eastern Roman Empire is referred to as Byzantine art, reverting back to its original name before Constantine. It was in present day Turkey.
APAH-Byzantine Architecture Pre-Writing Essay Homework.pptx
Size : 994.616 Kb
Type : pptx
Size : 37 Kb
Type : doc
Video Note Handout.docx
Size : 38.462 Kb
Type : docx
1) The Hagia Sophia
2) San Vitale
3) Justinian and Attendants
4) Theodora and Attendance
5) Vienna Genesis
6) Virgin ( Theotokos) and Child between Saint Theodore and George
1)Constantinople: Founded in 324 by Constantine and fell to the Ottoman Turks in 1453
2) Theocracy is dominant (belief that the ruler, as head of state, is also the religious leader
3) Byzantine Emperor is also the vicar of Christ on earth vs. Roman Pope
4)Justinian becomes the new Emperor of Byzantine in 550 and invades Ravenna declares that Christianity is to be the only lawful religion of his empire.
5) Mosaics are the main decorative element with iconic representation
6) Light is extremely important visual manifestation of God.
APAH-Study Guide for Early Christian, Islamic and Byzantine Exam- content area 3.docx
Size : 3555.641 Kb
Type : docx